Due to its location as a transit area between Navarre and Alava-Araba and its proximity to the Ega.
Orbiso has always been a transit area for people travelling from Navarre to the plains and the sea. This was the case during the Roman domination and later in the Middle Ages between the 16th and 19th centuries when Orbiso enjoyed its most prosperous and prosperous period.
As a hamlet of Santa Cruz de Campezo, Orbiso belonged to the lordship of the Mendoza family, a branch of the Counts of Orgaz, lords of the counts of Orgaz, lords of Campezo. In 1738 it acquired the title of Villa. On 17th January 1835, during the first Carlist War, a meeting took place in Orbiso between Zumalacárregui and Lorenzo. This war pitted most of the peasants and urban artisans of the Basque provinces, Catalonia and Aragon against the liberal army. In the case of Orbiso, both sides claimed victory. The liberals who took the height of Orbiso abandoned it shortly afterwards.
Orbiso remained an independent municipality until 1965. It currently forms a council or administrative board within the municipality of Santa Cruz de Campezo.

The Village

Orbiso is located to the south of Somorredondo, on a wide plain and sheltered by the gorge through which the river Istora flows. through which the river Istora flows.
Its main streets are: the Calle Mayor, the Calle del Centro and the Calle del Frontón. The three meet at the town square in the town square, in which there is an image of San Andrés.
The houses, most of which date from the 16th century, have round-arched doorways on their façades, Gothic windows, coats of arms and escutcheons, such as those of the Ochoa de Alda, the de Arróniz, Joan Fernández de Gaceo and García Gastones.
The town hall and the ambulatory are housed in a new building. Next to the social centre are The pelota court, with a single wall, the children’s playground, the bowling alley and the barbecue are located next to the social centre.
At one end of the main street is the parish church dedicated to San Andrés, and at the other end is the Humilladero del Santo Andrés. at the other end is the Humilladero del Santo Cristo.
Three bridges cross the waters of the river Istora and the Rosaria stream. On the outskirts of the village we find the hermitage of Santa Lucia, which has a recreational area. From the village we can access to a path that leads to the Istora ravine.

Credit by Ayuntamiento de Campezo


What to see

Kanpezu is surrounded by a unique natural environment where you will be able to enjoy a wide range of plans surrounded by nature. We recommend the following places:

The Ignatian Way

It retraces the route that Ignatius of Loyola, as a knight, travelled in 1522 from Loyola to Manresa.


Since prehistoric times, the village of Antoñana has been inhabited by nomads who raised livestock breeding.


Due to its location as a transit area between Navarre and Alava-Araba and its proximity to the Ega.

Izki Natural park

Izki was declared a Natural Park in 1998. In its 9,143 hectares it contains an enormous diversity of landscapes, being the third largest park in the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country.


A very ancient village. It appears in several documents under the name of Buszanda in 1071 and as Buxanda in the Cuaderno de Ordenanzas de Álava, 1742.


The village of Oteo was created as a pass to control the people and goods that circulated between the valleys of Arana and Campezo. the valleys of Arana and Campezo, although there are remains from the prehistoric era: in the Cavern of Arratiandi, between Atauri and Arratiandi, between Atauri and Oteo, sediments have been found with remains from the Eneolithic period, as well as human bones. human bones.